IELTS is a universally recognized test conducted for candidates who want to pursue higher education or gain work experience in foreign English speaking countries. Its mandatory and its score is accepted by 130 countries.
IELTS Preparation Tips:-
To prepare for IELTS, the following key points must be kept in mind:
- Start watching English movies, if you haven’t yet. It will improve your listening skills and would add phrases to your vocabulary.
- Always record keywords. If you come across a passage, make sure that you can identify keywords easily. This will require a lot of practice and reading.
- Once you’ve completed a lesson, always ask yourself a question at the end of it, “What have I learnt today?” Make notes of what you’ve learnt and you’ll realize that you will remember them for a far better duration of time.
- Make it a habit to read, and upon coming across an obscure word, do look for it in a dictionary and note down its meaning. Keep revising and you will have an enriched vocabulary sooner than you could have.
- Use the newly learned words during daily communication. The words will enter your permanent memory.
- To get a good core in grammar, aim for shorter, error-free sentences. It’s nearly impossible to get a good score if all your sentences have small mistakes. However, if you take fewer risks with complex sentences, and make your content error-free, you will achieve a good score.
- When it comes to writing long answers, keep these four points in mind:
- Answer the question directly
- Explain why
- Give an example
- Explain the alternative/opposite
- While giving an answer, make sure that you add a process diagram to it. It not only adds beauty to the answer, but also makes it more readable.
- While attempting the reading section, skip the questions you find hard. Answer all the easy ones first and then return to harder questions in case you have time.
- During the writing tasks, give an overview of the whole content. Examiners like it if they see a summary. Also, before you begin with writing, plan out the whole content. This will help you to write a more organized essay.
- Make it a point to use passive voice while writing sentences.
These IELTS preparation tips will help you to crack IELTS 2015.
IELTS Preparation and Reference Books:
- Target Band 7: IELTS Academic Module – How to Maximize Your Score
- Barron’s IELTS Superpack, Barron’s Educational Series
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module- How to maximize your score
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS with DVD-ROM
- IELTS Trainer Six Practice Tests with Answers and Audio CDs
- IELTS Advantage: Writing Skills
- Barron’s Essential Words for the IELTS with MP3 CD
These are the books one must have while preparing for IELTS. These will fetch you a good score and will help you crack IELTS without any hustle and bustle.
We hope this was helpful. The IELTS preparation tips and reference books form the key stuff to have during the whole preparation time.’