The IELTS or the International English Language Testing System is a globally accepted English language proficiency test. It measures a person’s ability to communicate in English across all four language skills – listening, reading, writing, and speaking. Most students are required to write IELTS to study in Australia but there are some universities where you can get admission without writing the IELTS. You can choose one of the following options to Study Abroad in Australia without submitting an IELTS score:
- International Baccalaureate Program: You do not have to submit IELTS scores if you have completed the International Baccalaureate Program.
- Work experience: Few universities such as the University of Queensland waive away the IELTS requirement if the applicant has at least 5 years of work experience in an organization where English is the primary language of communication.
- Alternative English program: Few leading universities have their own English Language Schools. So, students who do not meet the prescribed English language skills can complete the customized English courses offered by these schools.
- Alternative English tests: The IELTS is not the only test available., There are other equally popular tests that are widely accepted by Study Abroad in Australia universities such as TOEFL, Pearson Test of English (PTE), and Cambridge English Advanced Exam (CAE).
- Pathways Programs: Few universities such as the University of Southern Queensland offer a number of Pathways Programs to the students to help them improve their language skills.
Study in Australia with 5 Bands
Students applying for postgraduate Study Abroad in Australia need to score a minimum of 6.5 bands overall in IELTS, with no band less than 6.0. For undergraduate Study Abroad in Australia, you need to score a minimum of 6.0 bands overall in IELTS. But there are few universities in Australia that accepts applications from students who have secured a band of 5.5 in any of the IELTS sections such as speaking, listening, reading, or writing. Below is the list of courses that are most popular for their undergraduate courses and accept students with a band score of 5.5:
- Southern Cross University: Students should have an overall IELTS band of 6.0, with no band less than 5.5
- Trinity College – The University of Melbourne: Students should have an overall IELTS band of 6.0, with no band less than 5.5
- Academies Australasia: The overall IELTS expected score is 5.5 for students applying for the program.
- Business Management
- RMIT: This university accepts applications from students who have scored 5.5 overall in IELTS
- Trinity College – The University of Melbourne: Trinity Students accept candidates with an overall IELTS score of 5.5
- Southern Cross University:
- Bachelor of Business major in Aviation Management: It requires students to secure an IELTS band of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5.
- Bachelor of Business degree: The university accepts students with an IELTS score of 6.0 bands with no band less than 5.5.
- Associate Degree of Business: It requires students to secure an IELTS band of 5.5, with no band less than 5.0.
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Hotel Academy of Interactive Entertainment: It requires students to have an overall IELTS score of 5.5 bands, with a minimum of 5.0 bands in the writing section and 6.0 bands in the listening section.
- TAFE Western Australia: This university requires students to score 5.5 bands in IELTS with no band less than 5.0.
- Management and Tourism
- Southern Cross University: This course accepts applications from students who have scored 6.0 bands in IELTS, with no band less than 5.5.
Australia Student Visa IELTS Band Requirements 2019
The different types of Australian student visas require the primary applicant to meet an English language standard. The IELTS score required ranges from 5.5 to 6.5 or higher depending on the particular course you intend to pursue Study Abroad in Australia. The IELTS band requirements for admission and student visa are:
- For graduate degree: IELTS band requirement is 6.5+.
- For undergraduate degree: IELTS band requirement is 6.0 +.
Can I Go to Australia with 5 bands?
In Australia you require a minimum of 5 bands in IELTS for applying to high school. Most universities in Australia require at least 6 bands in IELTS to apply as an undergraduate student and at least 6.5 bands to apply as a graduate student. Some universities have a lower requirement which allows students with 5.5 bands in IELTS to Study Abroad in Australia but getting admission in a “reputed” or a “well-ranked” university is difficult. The top-ranked universities require an IELTS of 7.0 and no band less than 6.0. Having a minimum requirement for universities cannot guarantee admission as it’s very competitive and there are a lot of other students with a better band score in IELTS, hence band 5 is not enough to go to Australia.
Study in Australia without IELTS 2019
Few universities in Australia occasionally overlook the requirement of IELTS scores if the student’s secondary school language of instruction was English, or if they have completed a few years of studies in an English-speaking country. There are certain graduate schools which admit students without an IELTS score if authorities of their undergraduate school/university can certify that their medium of instruction was English.
Here is the list of popular universities Study Abroad in Australia, where submission of IELTS scores is not mandatory:
- Macquarie University (Co-Op)
- Bond University
- University of South Australia
- University of Southern Queensland
- University of New South Wales
- University of Adelaide
- Swinburne University of Technology
- University of Queensland
Minimum Percentage Required for Australia
Students applying for admission in Australian universities are required to submit their education details, including their course subjects and grades with the application. They are also required to submit an official transcript from the colleges they have attended after secondary school with complete details of the subjects and credits. Along with the minimum English language requirement, students need to have a minimum academic record of 65% and above in class XII. For students who have secured below 60%, foundation courses and diploma programs are available.
IELTS Score Required for Australian PR
IELTS is one of the primary steps to acquire an Australian Permanent Residency. As English is the primary language in Australia, the applicant is required to provide evidence of his/her proficiency in the English language to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. IELTS score required for an Australian immigration process for permanent residency visa is as follows:
- The minimum band requirement is 7 in each module of general training.
- The minimum band requirement is 6 in all four modules of English language skills, i.e., reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- The score is valid for 2 years from the date on which the test was conducted.
Point allocation for IELTS score
- IELTS score of 8 or more: 20 points
- IELTS score of 7 or more: 10 points
- IELTS score of 6 or more: 0 points
If you are applying for an Australian permanent residency, you should try scoring maximum points in your language proficiency test.
In conclusion, students should obtain good band
s in IELTS to Study Abroad in Australia. However, certain universities offer alternative options for international students.